[Folkserv] Reminder: job talk Monday for 2nd Latinx folklore candidate - Gloria Colom Braña

Modan, Galey modan.1 at osu.edu
Fri Jan 20 12:38:57 EST 2023

Hi everyone,

Gloria Colom Braña,  our second and final candidate for the Latinx Folklore position, will be giving her talk on Monday, Jan. 23rd at 4 pm in Denney 311. Read below for more info. I'll send the zoom link out later today, and also on Monday before the talk. (The 311 camera works now!)

If you would like to meet Gloria, the faculty meet and greet is scheduled for 11:45 in Denney 311; feel free to drop by.

Gloria will be talking about:

Everything but the Car: The Cultural Life of the Puerto Rican Carport

This research explores how the carport, known as the marquesina in Puerto Rico, became the social and cultural center in many Puerto Rican homes during the mid-twentieth century. The marquesina for many families is stage on which both daily, yearly, and important life events are enacted to an intimate audience of family, friends, and the local community. This research argues that this liminal space, both public and private, inherited the traditional uses of the batey, the pre-modern earthen yard where much of daily life took place. Functions such as cleaning, childcare, birthday parties, Christmas traditions, quinceañeras, weddings, and funerals amongst others have all been held in the carport, with the care and maintenance often relegated to female-coded persons.

After the talk I'll be sending out a note with the form for feedback. We welcome your comments on both candidates.

best,

Galey