[Folkserv] BNN ONLINE LECTURE SERIES: "FAIRY BELIEF NARRATIVES, INDIGENOUS KNOWLEDGE AND CONNECTION TO PLACE" by JENNY BUTLER, FRI 2 DECEMBER 2022, AT 5 P.M. CET

Noyes, Dorothy noyes.10 at osu.edu
Tue Nov 29 12:56:53 EST 2022

Old folklore speaking to contemporary interests --

From: Nidhi Mathur <nisfnr at gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, November 29, 2022 at 11:56
To: Nidhi Mathur <nidhimathur42 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Fwd: INVITATION - THE 22ND LECTURE OF THE BNN ONLINE LECTURE SERIES: "FAIRY BELIEF NARRATIVES, INDIGENOUS KNOWLEDGE AND CONNECTION TO PLACE" by JENNY BUTLER, FRI 2 DECEMBER 2022, AT 5 P.M. CET
Dear Belief Narrative Network / ISFNR members, dear Friends, dear Colleagues, The 22nd online lecture of the ISFNR Belief Narrative Network Online Lecture Series will be given on Friday, 2nd December, at 5 p. m. CET by Dr. Jenny Butler (Cork
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart
This Message Is From an External Sender
    Report Suspicious  <https://us-phishalarm-ewt.proofpoint.com/EWT/v1/KGKeukY!vYQd06gICssMJhA-V2aOn5_-x6Qmz3BlkeJzQDJMW6_L8bbZkAqmF80EF-o9IngGZhLHnAxrS8TFCTp5XkZ04WyK0N15vonSqzeTLhng1n80fxAichtopiGMOC6s$>   ‌
ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd

Dear Belief Narrative Network / ISFNR members, dear Friends, dear Colleagues,

The 22nd online lecture of the ISFNR Belief Narrative Network Online Lecture Series will be given on Friday, 2nd December, at 5 p.m. CET by Dr. Jenny Butler (Cork University, Ireland). Her talk is titled "Fairy Belief Narratives, Indigenous Knowledge and Connection to Place".

Please find the abstract, the speaker's short bio and link (with password) to the zoom meeting below.

This presentation approaches fairy belief narratives as indigenous knowledge, as cultural memory, and meaningful connection to the land and sites upon and within it. On the Irish landscape, there exist so-called “fairy places”, especially “fairy trees” (hawthorn) and “fairy forts” (ringforts). The Irish mythology records the aos sí, the mythical “people of the mounds” who inhabit the “hollow hills”, living underground beneath their human neighbours. The term “fairy” came to be used during the colonisation of Ireland when the population was forced to speak English instead of Gaelic and when the placenames were anglicised, thus losing meanings found in the native language. This, alongside many processes of change and modernisation, led to a disconnection of people and place particularly with regard to general awareness of how the otherworldly realm is intertwined with the physical terrain in the traditional worldview. This presentation explores the present-day status of fairy lore and connection to these sites. Based in ethnographic research in Ireland, reference will also be made to comparative research findings in Iceland and in Newfoundland, Canada.

Dr Jenny Butler is a Lecturer in the Study of Religions Department at University College Cork and is the President of the Irish Society for the Academic Study of Religions (ISASR). Her research focuses on otherworld traditions, intangible cultural heritage, ritual, and the intersections of religion and folklore. She is currently conducting an ethnographic research project on “Fairy Lore and Landscapes”: http://fairyloreandlandscapes.com/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/fairyloreandlandscapes.com/__;!!KGKeukY!yaTsF10GpQ-dnZqVu00u8iWyccQSV1t9aEdCiER27AOmCozO_I8ebx0lo8sGJr1cX2g1SZMXC--u9wg$>

Topic: BNN online lecture by Jenny Butler

Time: Dec 2, 2022 05:00 PM Sarajevo, Skopje, Zagreb (CET)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://penta-zagreb-hr.zoom.us/j/89477272627?pwd=aHNRcXk4ak9YYmtJbUxsRjdxdll6dz09<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/penta-zagreb-hr.zoom.us/j/89477272627?pwd=aHNRcXk4ak9YYmtJbUxsRjdxdll6dz09__;!!KGKeukY!yaTsF10GpQ-dnZqVu00u8iWyccQSV1t9aEdCiER27AOmCozO_I8ebx0lo8sGJr1cX2g1SZMXvpzhOPs$>

Meeting ID: 894 7727 2627

Passcode: BNN

If you have any trouble joining, you are welcome to send an email to Silvija Matić (silvija.matic at penta-zagreb.hr<mailto:silvija.matic at penta-zagreb.hr>). Please pay attention to the time-zone related time difference! (NB. Summer Time is over, and it is Central European Time again.) For your local time please check: <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/goog_2046844779/__;!!KGKeukY!yaTsF10GpQ-dnZqVu00u8iWyccQSV1t9aEdCiER27AOmCozO_I8ebx0lo8sGJr1cX2g1SZMXuoKB2iA$> https://www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/cet<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.timeanddate.com/time/zones/cet__;!!KGKeukY!yaTsF10GpQ-dnZqVu00u8iWyccQSV1t9aEdCiER27AOmCozO_I8ebx0lo8sGJr1cX2g1SZMXXQc2UV8$>

You are welcome to share the invitation with your colleagues and students! I am delighted to inform you that the new website of our lecture series has been launched where you can find more information on the previous lectures and our speakers. We would also like to thank Silvija Matić and Nidhi Mathur for their assistance.

Everyone interested in belief narratives of any kind is welcome to join the Network by contacting the chairperson (kishalas.judit at gmail.com<mailto:kishalas.judit at gmail.com>) and will be receiving information about all future BNN activities.

We hope you can join us this Friday!

Yours Sincerely,

Judit Kis-Halas

on behalf of the Belief Narrative Network Committee: Eva Þórdís Ebenzersdóttir, Petr Janeček, Judit Kis-Halas (chair),  Kristel Kivari, Kaarina Koski, Mare Kõiva, Margaret Lyngdoh, Bela Mosia, Maria Ines Palleiro, Sonja Petrović, Nemanja Radulović, Tok Thompson.