[Folkserv] Valerie Lee tells a true story- today!

Center for Folklore Studies ASC-cfs at osu.edu
Thu Nov 3 14:17:41 EDT 2022

From: Noyes, Dorothy <noyes.10 at osu.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, November 2, 2022 6:19 PM
To: Center for Folklore Studies <ASC-cfs at osu.edu>
Subject: Valerie Lee tells a true story- tomorrow!

Here is a lovely event from folklore-trained former chair of English Valerie Lee!

Dorothy Noyes

Director, Mershon Center

Professor, English, Comparative Studies

The Mershon Center for International Security Studies

1010 Derby Hall, 154 N. Oval Mall

The Ohio State University

Columbus, OH 43210

noyes.10 at osu.edu<mailto:noyes.10 at osu.edu>

Dear all,

This is a friendly reminder that tomorrow, Thursday, November 3rd, Project Narrative will be hosting a hybrid lecture by OSU Professor Emerita, Valerie Lee.

The event will be hosted both in person on the OSU campus in Denney 311 and via zoom at the link below from 4:00-5:30 PM EST.

https://osu.zoom.us/j/96861262408?pwd=Uy9TZE1vSExIQTl1NzYwTU9PWG1zQT09<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/osu.zoom.us/j/96861262408?pwd=Uy9TZE1vSExIQTl1NzYwTU9PWG1zQT09__;!!KGKeukY!1kDIP5JJQTPtE0SQfyrh1BWfSvDlun0XpUnD83uvEr0jmVHpSexR8Au0d649Ke47DkicmVq95u__ACm44uJ6$>

“Forty Devils Can’t Make Me Obey You”: To Tell A True Story

In Sisterlocking Discoarse, I draw upon African American storytelling traditions, cultural contexts, and collective sites of memory to discuss how I experienced the academy as a Black woman. The recollections and reflections cohere in surprising ways, encapsulating the texture of what it feels like to be diverse in white spaces of leadership. As both writer and reader of my experiences, I will focus on the various voices that intermingle with mine—voices from my grandmother, children, colleagues, student advisees, African American authors, and 19th century enslaved African women.

We hope you can join us for this exciting event! If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Cheers,

Mary Gibaldi

GA, Project Narrative