[Folkserv] OSU Talk and Earthworks with Dr. Chadwick Allen

Center for Folklore Studies ASC-cfs at osu.edu
Mon Mar 28 13:26:42 EDT 2022

________________________________
From: Robbins, Elise <robbins.395 at buckeyemail.osu.edu>
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2022 12:41 PM
To: Robbins, Elise <robbins.395 at buckeyemail.osu.edu>
Subject: OSU Talk and Earthworks with Dr. Chadwick Allen

Good morning!

I am a Graduate Assistant with the Center for the Study of Religion at Ohio State University. I'm excited to reach out to announce our next event, which we hope will be of interest to you and/or your department! Dr. Chadwick Allen, professor in the Department of English at the University of Washington and author of Earthworks Rising: Mound Building in Native Literature and the Arts, will be visiting April 14-16. On April 14, he will be giving a talk (free and open to the public) titled "Wombed Hollows, Sacred Trees: Burial Mounds and Processual Indigenous Subjectivity." More information and registration can be found at the link below.

https://religion.osu.edu/events/wombed-hollows-sacred-trees-burial-mounds-and-processual-indigenous-subjectivity-chadwick
[https://religion.osu.edu/sites/default/files/2022-03/allen_headshot.jpg]<https://religion.osu.edu/events/wombed-hollows-sacred-trees-burial-mounds-and-processual-indigenous-subjectivity-chadwick>
Wombed Hollows, Sacred Trees: Burial Mounds and Processual Indigenous Subjectivity with Chadwick Allen | Center for the Study of Religion<https://religion.osu.edu/events/wombed-hollows-sacred-trees-burial-mounds-and-processual-indigenous-subjectivity-chadwick>
Abstract: Since the eighteenth century, settler cultures have represented North American burial mounds as ancient “mysteries” and historical “enigmas”—sites of Indigenous vanishing that provide settlers with opportunities for creating scientific discovery, economic profit, and cautionary tales of angry ghosts from “lost” civilizations. But there are other narratives to tell about ...
religion.osu.edu


In addition, he and John Low, the Director of the Newark Earthworks Center, will be leading a curated tour through the Newark Earthworks. It's sure to be a fascinating day! We will gather at 10AM with lunch to follow at 12PM. We will all meet at the OSU Newark Campus, but a bus will be bringing participants from OSU to Newark. More details will be forthcoming, but we'd like to get an idea of who would be interested in joining us for this unique opportunity. So, if you'd like to be a part of our Earthworks excursion, please send an email to religion at osu.edu with your RSVP and whether or not you'll be joining us on the bus.

Both events are free and open to the public, and we hope you'll join us for one or both. Please direct any questions to religion at osu.edu.

Looking forward,
Elise

M. Elise Robbins
Ph.D. Student
College of Arts & Sciences, English Department
515 Denney Hall, 164 Annie and John Glenn Ave, Columbus, OH 43210
robbins.395 at osu.edu
Pronouns: she/her/hers