[Electronicsclub] OHI/O MAKEathon and Volunteering Opportunities

Electronics Club OSU electronicsosu at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 19:13:47 EDT 2015

Greetings everyone!

Just a warning, this is a bit longer email than we usually send. The gist
of it is that we have two upcoming events, De-Soldering Workshop and OHI/O
MAKEathon 2015, and we're looking for people to volunteer for ECouncil
events for us.

*Meeting Follow-up:*
Thank you to everyone who could make it tonight. It may have been a longer
talk but we hope you were still able to get a lot out of it. The
presentation is available in the slide archive as Sp-
14_Serial_Protocols_3-27-14.ppt
<https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/#folders/0B3e5KFYsKqdBblNtWDlMaHd6SGM/0B5PXH5z70fIZNGtIZVozemxQR2M/0B3e5KFYsKqdBR3NiRTh1My13VkU>
and if you're curious, the 10 Ways to Destroy your Arduino page is here
<http://www.ruggedcircuits.com/10-ways-to-destroy-an-arduino/>.

*De-Soldering Workshop*
On April 1st, we will be holding a de-soldering workshop in our lab,
Caldwell 078, starting at 5:30pm. Come on by to learn how to de-solder
boards without damaging the board and to recover usable parts. Feel free to
bring old electronics you have laying around and we'll provide some as
well. If you have a soldering iron, please bring it--just to make sure we
have enough. We will be welcoming donations at the event to cover the cost
of solder wick and solder consumed and to help fund better soldering and
desoldering equipment for future use. A suggested donation is $5 but it's
not a requirement to attend!

*OHI/O Makeathon 2015*

We are pleased to announce open registration for the OHI/O MAKEathon 2015!
The MAKEathon is a 24 hour, hardware focused hackathon. During the event
you will have time to work in teams to create something new! The event will
be on April 18th to 19th on the second floor of Dreese Labs in the area
around DL260. *Registration will close on Sunday, April 12th at midnight*.
Everyone who has registered by then will be notified of their attendance
 at the event. We will try to accommodate as many people as possible,
however, we have an 80 person limit. To learn more about the event and to
register, please visit http://make-oh.io/.

*Engineering Council Volunteer Opportunities*

Each year, engineering student organizations have a chance to receive 40%
of their total non-ECouncil funding in additional funds from ECouncil. The
catch is that to get this money we need people to volunteer at engineering
events around campus. We earn $75 per volunteer hour of credit with
ECouncil that we can receive when we go to request money at the end of next
Fall.

So, we hope that all of you are willing to volunteer at least one hour or
one and a half hours of your time at an event. The money we request from
ECouncil next fall will go towards funding pizza at our meetings, funding
new workshops, and interactive talks like the shift register talk given
earlier this semester.

We've included a list of every currently available volunteering opportunity
this semester below.

EEIC Creative Writing and Arts Showcase Event Volunteering
Opportunities (*Volunteers
for this get 2 ECouncil Hours for every hour they work.*)

A great idea is only as effective as the innovator’s ability to communicate
it to others. The EEIC Creative Writing and Arts Showcase Event gives
engineering students the opportunity to showcase their creativity and
communicate an idea to others. Submissions were welcomed in 6 categories
and the event, in E100 Scott Lab from 1-4 pm on March 31, 2015, will show
off these creative submissions.

Volunteers needed: 2-3 per shift

Date: Tuesday March 31st

Times:
1pm-2pm (Greet, Circulate, and Mingle)

              2pm-3pm (Greet, Circulate, and Mingle)

              3pm-4pm (Greet, Circulate, and Mingle)

              4pm-5pm (Tear Down)

               Meeting Location: Scott Lab E100
               Please sign volunteers up here
<http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20F0E4AA8A92BA0FC1-eeic>.

Reminder: *Volunteer hours for the EEIC Creative Writing Showcase are worth
double the value.*

 Donate Your Pancake Griddle for 3 Hours Volunteering Opportunity

ECouncil is looking for some griddles for pancake making at an ArchE Week
event on April 8th, 2015 from 8am-11am. If you donate a pancake griddle
during the time, your student organization can get *3 volunteer hours*, one
for each hour the griddle will be used. Please contact me if you have a
pancake griddle to lend.

Engineering Design Showcase
The Engineering Design Showcase is a showcase where all of the senior
design projects display what they have been working on all year long.
Volunteers will be assembling metal grids with zip ties for posters. We
will provide a very brief training on how to assemble the grids, it is not
very difficult. The morning group will also arrange the grids in the
ballroom. This group will also be taping foam core boards to the grids for
the posters to hang on and passing out tacks for the posters. The afternoon
group will be disassembling the grids from the morning. This group will
also be stacking the various grid components for pickup by the vendor. This
group will also be doing some general cleanup of the venue.

Volunteers needed: 30 per shift

Date: Tuesday April 28th

Times:

7am-8:30am (Set-Up)

8:30am-10am (Set-Up)

3pm-4pm (Tear Down)

4pm-5pm (Tear Down)

             Meeting Location: Grand Ballroom- Ohio Union
             Please sign volunteers up here
<http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0e4aa8a92ba0fc1-engineering>.

SWE 5K and Volleyball Tournament

Swe will be hosting its second annual 5k and volleyball tournament. The
money fundraised from the event will be given to the Metro School, Ohio’s
first all STEM education high school. To signup please visit
http://osuswe.wix.com/swe-5k

Date: Sunday, April 12th

Times:

7pm-9pm (Set-Up)

7pm-9:30pm (Registration)

7:30pm-10pm (Volleyball Referees)

9pm-10pm (5K Time Keepers)

             Meeting Location: Fred Beekman Park Volleyball Shelter
             Please sign volunteers up here
<http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0e4aa8a92ba0fc1-swe5kvolleyball>.

 Student Activities Conference Volunteering Opportunities

The SAC is an event for all student branches of IEEE in the Region 2 area.
The below are the required volunteer positions:

Campus Guide - General Information and Help
​Info: Volunteer will be positioned in the Union and another location TBD
to direct SAC attendees to different locations on campus should they have
questions. Volunteers will be given a FAQ sheet for answering questions
that attendees may be given. Additionally, volunteers may direct students
towards one of the SAC leads. These volunteers will be called upon to
assist with various tasks throughout the day such as setting up
competitions with a competition lead and helping with our career fair.
      Volunteers needed: 2-8
      Date: Saturday, April 11th
      Time: 8am-5pm
      Meeting Location: The Union

      Please email Brackman.26 with your volunteer names and the times they
are available. *You don’t need to volunteer the entire time*. Please let me
know what times will work best.
--
Electronics Club at The Ohio State University
Caldwell 078