[Electronicsclub] Welcome Back this Fall!

Bauer, Eric C. bauer.432 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Mon Aug 17 18:29:31 EDT 2015

Greetings everyone,

I hope that your summers have been great. School is starting up soon, ready or not, but that also means the Electronics Club is too! Last spring's Makeathon was just the beginning of cool club activities. Some upcoming dates and important reminders are below:

Involvement Fair:
Sunday, August 23rd, we will have a table at the Oval from 5pm to 8pm. For more about the fair, check here<http://ohiounion.osu.edu/things_to_do/sifair>. Stop by and say hello!

Meetings & Workshops:
This semester we will be (mostly) meeting every other Wednesday at 7pm. Caldwell 120 will be the location for meetings and we will notify otherwise. To keep things interesting, we are going to be holding plenty of workshops. In addition to some soldering workshops, look forward to workshops for RF applications, shift registers, PCB Layout, serial communications and an introduction to hobbyist electronics. The week of the Career Fair is also shaping up with two workshops with Texas Instruments and Harris RF-more details soon!

The first few meetings are as follows (and full schedule here<http://electronicsosu.com/calendar.html>) :
Aug 26th

Welcome Back Meeting

Sept 9th

Intro to Hobbyist Electronics (workshop)

Sept 16th

PCB Layout with Eagle (workshop)

Sept 23rd

Career Fair Workshops (TBD)

If you have a talk you want to suggest for this summer or, better yet, lead this semester, please email us at electronicsosu at gmail.com<mailto:electronicsosu at gmail.com>

Lab Access & Projects:
We apologize at the relatively limited lab access this summer. If you have projects in the lab that are NOT on the project shelf, please remove them. If you need help getting access, email us. We're trying to make more space in the room while we clean it up.

We will be reopening access renewal to the lab after our second meeting  on September 9th. In addition to Open Lab hours, you can again purchase 24/7 room access and access to the parts cabinet. This access costs $10 per semester.

Starting this semester, we have a new way to pay for lab access! By volunteering 2 hours for an E-council event in the Fall, you will get full lab access in the Spring for free! Volunteer hours above 2 in a given semester will not get more semesters for free. We do encourage you to volunteer as much as you can, since it earns money for the club that will be used for future workshops and events.

TI Resume Database:
Members of IEEE Undergrad and Electronics Club will be eligible this year to submit their resumes to be shared with Texas Instruments in a database. TI agrees with us that our members are the kind of people they want to hire for internships or full time. In order to obtain special consideration from TI, you must meet the criteria of being an 'Active' member. This could be as simple as volunteering for an E-council opportunity so look forward to details about the database!

Outreach Opportunity:
Marcy McKnight is a 5th grade teacher at Norwich Elementary in Hilliard and is getting ready to engage her 35 students with project-based learning-taking apart electronics. She was wondering if any of the Electronics Club members would be interested in helping out. If you do want to have fun salvaging electronics and showing kids how cool we engineers are, please let me know at bauer.432 at osu.edu<mailto:bauer.432 at osu.edu> ! The estimated timeframe is October but they are very flexible.

Welcome back,

Eric Bauer
The Ohio State University - 2016
Electronics Club - President