[Comicsstudiessociety] The 2023 Graphic Medicine International Collective (GMIC) Award

Matthew Noe matthewnoe at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 09:33:24 EST 2023

Happy new year everyone! With the new year comes time for the second annual
Graphic Medicine International Collective (GMIC) Award!

This award recognizes an outstanding health-related comics project
published in the prior year (in this case, comics published in 2022). Last
year was the inaugural year and the shortlist makes an excellent reading
list and collection development tool: 2022 GMIC Award Shortlist
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.graphicmedicine.org/announcing-the-shortlist-for-the-gmic-award/__;!!KGKeukY!yptak2aIELi7nuoVQmxrLzJNo2mk1jMmKfcA4W5kY4W0k42aJ0HSy3_vzXKnxa96UioI0ZX1Z8WGm4F5iS16L6SHfhmws6Sg$ >.
You can see more about last year's winner, *Parenthesis *by Élodie Durand,
and what the award looks like here
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.graphicmedicine.org/announcing-the-winner-of-the-2022-gmic-award/__;!!KGKeukY!yptak2aIELi7nuoVQmxrLzJNo2mk1jMmKfcA4W5kY4W0k42aJ0HSy3_vzXKnxa96UioI0ZX1Z8WGm4F5iS16L6SHfjfFYi9U$ >
.

All the details are found on our website but I will share the FAQ below as
well. If you have any questions about the award, please feel free to
contact me directly (I am GMIC's treasurer). Please also share this
information with any creators or publishers you think may want to submit
titles for consideration. We want to get as good a look at the field as we
can and the more submissions the better!

The 2023 Graphic Medicine International Collective (GMIC) Award
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.graphicmedicine.org/the-2023-graphic-medicine-international-collective-gmic-award/__;!!KGKeukY!yptak2aIELi7nuoVQmxrLzJNo2mk1jMmKfcA4W5kY4W0k42aJ0HSy3_vzXKnxa96UioI0ZX1Z8WGm4F5iS16L6SHfvCmz2Vm$ >

*Q: What qualifies as a work of graphic medicine for this award?*

*A:* Comics of any length that emphasize one or more health-related topics
and were completed or published in 2022 are eligible for this award.
Graphic medicine comics take as their theme (or meaningfully include)
topics that impact health. We define the term “health” here broadly, based
on the World Health Organization definition: a state of physical, mental,
and social well-being, not merely the absence of disease or infirmity.
Comics can be fiction or nonfiction, memoir or biography, educational
and/or entertaining. Both print and web-based comics are eligible for this
award.
------------------------------
*Q: Is there only one award? *

No, there will be two awards in 2023. This is a change from last year. *We
will have one award for short-form comics (25 pages and below) and one
award for long-form comics (greater than 25 pages.) *
------------------------------
*Q: Must eligible comics be published in English?*

*A:* No, but all incorporated text must be translated into English in 2022
for judging purposes and *the original text must have been published in the
preceding five years (i.e., 2017 or later)*.
------------------------------
*Q: Who can submit a work for consideration?*

*A:* Each comic for consideration must be submitted by the creator of the
comic or their publisher. Due to the nature of the award process, we will
not be able to accept anonymous submissions, but we will respect pseudonyms.
*Q: How should works be submitted?*

All works should be submitted as a PDF using this online form
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://brock.ca1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bBAJ11XLx7gQHK6__;!!KGKeukY!yptak2aIELi7nuoVQmxrLzJNo2mk1jMmKfcA4W5kY4W0k42aJ0HSy3_vzXKnxa96UioI0ZX1Z8WGm4F5iS16L6SHflQ5fOsB$ >.
Q: Is there a deadline for making submissions for the 2023 GMIC award?