[Comicsstudiessociety] Print production of comics

Glenn Fleishman glenn at glennf.com
Wed May 4 13:19:34 EDT 2022

Hello, folks,

My historic specialty relating to comics is in the print production of
comics between an artist's drawings and the printed page. I've
encountered and collected a wide range of material spanning the metal
type/relief printing age, including engraved plates, flongs (paper-like
material used to make molds to cast printing plate), flat stereotypes
(plates cast from those molds), and even a newspaper stereotype of a
comics page (a hemispherical lead alloy plate weighing about 40 lbs).

I'm eager to discuss this aspect if it's not off topic on this list,
which it doesn't seem to be, and share information with other people
also pursuing these threads. Most of the material I've obtained is
ephemeral production stuff, things that have no intrinsic value except
as an example. But I did purchase a sheet of weekday Doonesbury strips
from 1973 in flong format (before they were cut up for casting for
individual days) that includes strips that never ran or had to be
modified before running due to Ehrlichman's resignation.

Most recently, I found a metal plate for sale on eBay that I can't
determine the purpose of. It's incised, but isn't suitable for intaglio
printing, which uses an incised process. Not being a relief surface, it
could be used to make plates. If anyone has insight, I'm all ears:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ebay.com/itm/354035653118__;!!KGKeukY!2kg89oAoLyzBeVx24M5zXZo6jjGDzwJUBBa_wJnAnlZ2aTyltTbFi_-WeS4FrLiR7j51YtofJzC-CpXpV-kDguoPpqE$  The seller appears to have no
information about it.

--
Glenn Fleishman . Seattle . Washington . https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://glog.glennf.com__;!!KGKeukY!2kg89oAoLyzBeVx24M5zXZo6jjGDzwJUBBa_wJnAnlZ2aTyltTbFi_-WeS4FrLiR7j51YtofJzC-CpXpV-kD9i6RmL4$  . @glennf
Freelance writer, book author, editor, printer, and type historian