[Comicsstudiessociety] Query: Bechdel (Fun Home) scholarship for opening a grad seminar

Joachim Trinkwitz jtr at uni-bonn.de
Thu Jun 23 18:42:08 EDT 2022

If you consider something outside the usual queer perspectives, try Aaron Kashtan's article from a media/materiality studies POV:

Kashtan, Aaron. "My mother was a typewriter: Fun Home and the importance of materiality in comics studies." Journal of Graphic Novels and Comics 4.1 (2013): 92–116.

> Am 23.06.2022 um 03:55 schrieb Charles Hatfield via ComicsStudiesSociety <comicsstudiessociety at lists.osu.edu>:
>
> This fall I'm teaching an Introduction to Graduate Studies in English, and for the first two to three weeks we'll be focusing on Bechdel's Fun Home as an example of a 21st-century literary text that has inspired a lot of scholarship. After concentrating on Fun Home itself for a week, we'll move into academic journal articles and/or book chapters about Fun Home, with a couple chosen by me and one or two chosen (and abstracted/presented) by students individually. The idea is not to turn this course into a comics studies seminar (heh), but to model a variety of approaches to one text under the umbrella of contemporary academic literary criticism.
>
> I've previously used Chute's "Animating an Archive" (her chapter on Bechdel from Graphic Women) in grad courses, and may use it again here (it's amazing), but would like to supplement it with other pieces to convey a greater disciplinary and methodological range. Besides pieces contained in Utell's edited collection The Comics of Alison Bechdel: From the Outside In (2019), are there other academic "Bechdel studies" texts you would recommend as part of the opening of a grad studies gateway course? If so, what methodologies or theories do those texts represent, do you think?
>
> CH
Dr. Joachim Trinkwitz
Institut für Germanistik, Vergleichende Literatur- und Kulturwissenschaft der Universität Bonn
53012 Bonn
Tel.: 0228-737565
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.germanistik.uni-bonn.de__;!!KGKeukY!z-L2Mn6Qsf4NS1OUBpkKeLyJmmrbt51nMn9ByTUTntWuQ-scKeIh8Eio7IOp-OEvOHAQrs3-gVcc5kR0FxfB3oDPgXWd$
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.bobc.uni-bonn.de__;!!KGKeukY!z-L2Mn6Qsf4NS1OUBpkKeLyJmmrbt51nMn9ByTUTntWuQ-scKeIh8Eio7IOp-OEvOHAQrs3-gVcc5kR0FxfB3pPY7axe$