[CaCL] Modeling Syntax Acquisition with Cognitive Constraints

Jin, Lifeng jin.544 at buckeyemail.osu.edu
Wed Nov 20 11:09:09 EST 2019

Hi,

I will give a practice talk in CACL this week:

Modeling Syntax Acquisition with Cognitive Constraints

Children seem to learn their first languages effortlessly, but how they
are able to do this has been heatedly debated for many years among
linguists.
Recent advances in computational linguistics have presented us a unique
opportunity to explore the problem of syntax acquisition with
computational modeling.
In this talk, I will first introduce syntax acquisition modeling, also
known as grammar induction, from a theoretical perspective. I will then
present our efforts in modeling syntax acquisition with statistical
machine learning models with human memory constraints. Simulations using
Bayesian and neural network models on natural data in many languages
have provided insight into how language acquisition may happen without
universals as inductive biases as well as how cognitive constraints may
interact with syntax acquisition. Finally I will discuss some
theoretical considerations and future directions for acquisition modeling.

Lifeng