[CaCL] Opportunity to invite an outside speaker for 2013-14

William Schuler schuler at ling.osu.edu
Sun Apr 20 18:03:57 EDT 2014

Hi CaCL!

Since kathryn is on sabbatical next year, she's deferred her speakers
invitation, so that means we're up next!

Please let me know if you have any nominees for speakers!

My nominees are as follows, in the area of EEG:
1. Peter Hagoort (runs the Max Planck psycholinguistics institute in the
Netherlands)
2. Marcel Bastiaansen (does EEG and memory at Max Planck)

On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 5:46 PM, William Schuler <schuler at ling.osu.edu>wrote:

> ok, i'll keep you in front for the next round then.
>

> On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 8:08 PM, Kathryn Campbell-Kibler <
> kbck at ling.ohio-state.edu> wrote:
>

>> SoMean is currently on hiatus, not having met this year by common
>> consent, and it will not meet next year, as I will be on sabbatical.  I'm
>> sure the folks who might otherwise be meeting would have an opinion about
>> speakers, but it seems most appropriate to cede our spot to another group,
>> or at least to postpone in favor another group until next year.
>>
>> -K
>>

>> On Fri, 18 Apr 2014, William Schuler wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Kathryn and Don (Somean), Micha and Mary (Laqueys), Bob and Carl
>>> (Commies) ---
>>>
>>> (please excuse me and forward as necessary if I left off anyone from
>>> your respective
>>> groups!)
>>>
>>> According to my records, your groups (Somean, Lacqueys and Commies) are
>>> those whose turn it
>>> is this coming year to invite an outside speaker for one of the
>>> departmental colloquia,
>>> should you wish to do so.  Please consult your respective groups and
>>> confirm asap that
>>> you'd like to invite someone (as otherwise we'll pass the opportunity on
>>> to another group).
>>>  If you do wish to issue an invitation, please let us know as quickly as
>>> possible, but
>>> preferably no later than by Wednesday, 4/30:
>>>  1. who you would like to invite
>>>  2. which faculty member would like to serve as faculty host (and
>>> organize the actual
>>> invitation)
>>>  3. whether you would prefer to offer your guest a home stay or a hotel
>>> stay
>>> If you'd like to include a back-up, in case your first choice cannot
>>> accept, send that
>>> along too.
>>>
>>> We look forward to hearing from you.
>>>
>>> William (on behalf of the Speakers Committee)
>>>
>>> FYI, here's my updated record of speakers' committee speakers, on which
>>> this email is
>>> based:
>>>
>>> 2009-10: Clippers (Baldridge)
>>> 2009-10: Phonies (Menard)