[CaCL] (Final!) Room change and topic for next week

Fred Mailhot fmailhot at ling.osu.edu
Wed Jan 19 11:07:09 EST 2011

Hi everyone,

1) We have a new, finalized room. For the remainder of this quarter we
will be meeting in Hagerty 406 (thanks to Andrea Sims and Slavic
Linguistics!).

2) For next week (2010-01-24), we will be reading a recent paper by
Alice Turk (get it at
http://www.ling.ohio-state.edu/~fmailhot/CaCL/Turk2010.pdf). Either Beth
or I will lead/facilitate the discussion.

Turk, A. (2010) "Does prosodic constituency signal relative
predictability? A Smooth Signal Redundancy hypothesis." Proceedings of
LabPhon 10.

Abstract:
This paper explores issues relating to signaling word boundaries from
the perspective of Aylett’s Smooth Signal Redundancy proposal (Aylett
2000, Aylett and Turk 2004) that language has evolved to spread
redundancy, i.e. recognition likelihood, evenly throughout utterances.
In Aylett’s proposal, information that enables listeners to identify
sequences of elements in an utterance (signal redundancy) comes from two
sources: a) language redundancy, recognition likelihood based on
lexical, syntactic, semantic, pragmatic and other factors, and b)
acoustic redundancy, recognition likelihood based on acoustic salience.
Smooth signal redundancy is achieved by a complementary relationship
between language redundancy and acoustic redundancy that is implemented
via prosodic structure.
While Aylett and Turk (2004) present the case for prosodic prominence as
a leverfor modulating the acoustic salience of syllables, the current
paper proposes that prosodic constituency also fulfils this function for
words. The current paper proposes that the signal redundancy, or
recognition likelihood, of words can be manipulated by signaling their
boundaries, and that the occurrence and strength of these boundary
markers correlates inversely with language redundancy. Prosodic
constituency implements the complementary relationship between language
redundancy and word boundary salience.
Smooth Signal Redundancy provides an integrated explanation for a set of
properties
relating to prosodic constituent structure.

Cheers,
Fred.