[CaCL] This week

chris brew brew.2 at osu.edu
Mon Oct 18 08:43:31 EDT 2010

Hmm. Let's test our prejudices.

- I vote for Chris Manning, because I probably agree with everything he
says, and would be
interested if others find anything he says questionable, boring or wrong. He
is a very sharp representative of the main academic community I live in.

- I also vote for Sandiway Fong, because I suspect he will say things that I
find questionable, boring or wrong, and would be interested if others find
anything that he says insightful or compelling. He is a very sharp
representative of the route not taken in my world.

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 3:52 AM, Fred Mailhot <
fmailhot at brutus.ling.ohio-state.edu> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> We decided that this week we would do another video from the MIT workshop
> that Andy pointed out to us last time before getting into papers and
> presentations.
>
> Please take a few minutes to have a look at the available videos on this
> page (each linked talk takes you to a page with an abstract):
>
> http://mitworld.mit.edu/series/view/119
>
> We had decided that we would take a vote. Please send me your top two
> choices by Tuesday evening, so that I can send out an announcement.
>
> My votes: Partha Niyogi or Josh Tenebaum
>
> On a related note, there was another workshop in 2007, whose videos are
> also online, and that we might want to have a look at, possibly next
> semester. These talks look, if anything, even more appealing to me (and are
> just possibly a bit closer in content to the stated aims of our group):
>
> http://videolectures.net/mlcs07_london/
>

> See you Thursday!
> Fred.

Chris Brew, Ohio State University