[Aqua-ohio] Fish Fact Sheet Friday and Office Hours

Smith, Matthew A. smith.11460 at osu.edu
Fri Nov 13 09:29:40 EST 2020

Midwest aquaculture,

Occasionally, I receive questions on where to send water samples for testing, what parameters to test for, how much it costs, how to ship the sample, etc.

If you are using well water, understand that your ground water can change over time, and it's important to know what is in your water. It is also important to understand that even if samples are collected and shipped correctly, results of some parameters (e.g. oxygen and pH) may be drastically different than what's actually found in your water as the microbial processes do not stop just because the water was bottled. Testing parameters that may change within hours or a day or so are going to be most accurate by testing yourself at the farm.

In Ohio, some water testing labs have a "Fish Pond" package option. Check your state (start with your local county Extension office) to see if this is an option.

For Fish Fact Sheet Friday, I'll offer SRAC publication 4606 - Interpretation of Water Analysis Reports for Fish Culture. We know acceptable and desirable parameters differ based on species, acclimation, etc., but this is a good report to print out and have laying around, especially for your new hires.

Want to chat about this? Join me for open office hours, 1-3 pm Eastern. Link below.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Matthew Smith is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: OSU Extension open office hours with Matt Smith
Time: Nov 13, 2020 01:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting
https://osu.zoom.us/j/97559626020?pwd=UVprbFFkdUIwem5oRThYTWdwVHhWdz09

Meeting ID: 975 5962 6020
Password: 11460
One tap mobile
+13017158592,,97559626020#,,,,0#,,11460# US (Washington D.C)
+13126266799,,97559626020#,,,,0#,,11460# US (Chicago)

Dial by your location
        +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington D.C)
        +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
        +1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
        +1 651 372 8299 US (St. Paul)
        +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
        +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
        +1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
        +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: 975 5962 6020
Password: 11460
Find your local number: https://osu.zoom.us/u/aec5909kTd

Matt

[The Ohio State University]
Matthew A. Smith
Program Director, Aquaculture Extension

Madison County Extension Office
College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences
217 Elm Street, London, Ohio 43140
740.852.0975 ext 17 Office
smith.11460 at osu.edu