[Vwoolf] Woolf / Mitford

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Sat May 15 11:46:40 EDT 2021

A friend gave me “Christmas Pudding” (1932) recently, and there are plums on almost every page.

“In time, of course, she intended to marry some rich and colourless man so that she could settle down in Chelsea – a hostess”.  Remind you of Lady Colefax?

And here’s one for some of us in Lockdown:

“Philadelphia found herself once more without any occupation or interests, and for the rest of that day she sat before the fire in an arm-chair, assailed by the ghastly boredom only known to those who live in the country but have no love for country pursuits, and no intellectual resources on which they can fall back.”

This means I’ve now read 7 of the 8 (“Highland Fling” years ago – I remember nothing, except that when they had they fire all the dreadful old Victoriana was saved), but “Pigeon Pie” has escaped me.

Stuart