[Vwoolf] More unlikely places to find a Woolf quote

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Sat May 15 09:20:16 EDT 2021

Quotation from "A Room of One's Own" as the epigraph to ch.  23, "Scleretone aplasia/subtraction in 203 cases", of "Beyond Thalidomide: Birth Defects Explained", by Janet McCredie (London: The Royal Society of Medicine Press, 2007), p. 269:
"One can only show how one came to hold whatever opinion one does hold."

And now, less unsurprising:

NEWSOM, John (preface by R. A. Butler), "The Education of Girls" (London: Faber and Faber, 1948), p. 18: also from "A Room of One's Own":
“I have tried in this book to keep Mrs. Woolf's picture before me as a fearful warning and to avoid, literally or metaphorically, any 'jabbing of the paper' during its composition."
Various quotes (one misquoted):
"heavily built; he had a great jowl ... some cause for anger and irritation remained."
"frivolous and facetious ... moral and hortatory"
"agreeable essayists ... men who have no apparent qualification save that they are not women."