[Vwoolf] Am I missing something?

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Fri May 7 15:18:21 EDT 2021

L3 547, no. 1944, [22 October 1928] to V. Sackville-West

VW blames herself for J. C. Squire’s adverse review of Orlando ‘It was my fault largely—I had a hit at him, which was silly.’

What is this ‘hit’?

Of course, Squire is not mentioned in the novel, but I wonder if this could be a ref.  We know that Nicholas Greene is based on Logan Pearsall Smith and Edmund Gosse, but the physical description doesn’t suit either:

That Orlando as he hastened to greet him was slightly disappointed was inevitable. The poet was not above middle height; was of a mean figure; was lean and stooped somewhat, and, stumbling over the mastiff on entering, the dog bit him. Moreover, Orlando for all his knowledge of mankind was puzzled where to place him. There was something about him which belonged neither to servant, squire, or noble. The head with its rounded forehead and beaked nose was fine, but the chin receded. The eyes were brilliant, but the lips hung loose and slobbered. It was the expression of the face--as a whole, however, that was disquieting. There was none of that stately composure which makes the faces of the nobility so pleasing to look at; nor had it anything of the dignified servility of a well-trained domestic's face; it was a face seamed, puckered, and drawn together. Poet though he was, it seemed as if he were more used to scold than to flatter; to quarrel than to coo; to scramble than to ride; to struggle than to rest; to hate than to love. This, too, was shown by the quickness of his movements; and by something fiery and suspicious in his glance. Orlando was somewhat taken aback. But they went to dinner.

But note “squire”.