[Vwoolf] article in *The Nation*

Sarah M. Hall smhall123 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu May 6 12:09:52 EDT 2021

 Enjoyed this piece enormously, thanks, Jeanne.

I see that André Aciman is the author of Call Me by Your Name, which I know from the film rather than the book. Interesting that he thinks if you don't understand something then it doesn't make sense. Personally, I'd give any writer of reputation the benefit of the doubt and assume that the onus is on me to try harder. Aciman doesn't tell us what his 'couple of questions' are, but it seems just as possible that his interlocutors failed to make sense of his questions as that they couldn't make sense of Woolf's novel. But maybe they were too polite to say so to his face.
Sarah

Sarah M. HallVirginia Woolf Society of GB