[Vwoolf] A throwaway ref.

Jean Mills millsj7 at gmail.com
Mon May 3 10:22:02 EDT 2021

Love this, Stuart, as I have played sports my entire life (now, with less
[ahem] agility and more age-ility) and have often had students wanting to
explore the idea of sports and competition in Woolf's work (usually as
potential substitutes for war), so this reference and its backstory helps.
(Also, of course, I'm a big fan of Midge Purce and Megan Rapinoe, et al
here across the pond and their push on behalf of women's sports, esp in
relation to FIFA). Thanks for the post. -Jean

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 6:24 AM Stuart N. Clarke via Vwoolf <
vwoolf at lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> End of ch. 4 of “A Room”:
>
> “And yet, I continued, approaching the bookcase again, where shall I find
> that elaborate study of the psychology of women by a woman? If through
> their incapacity to play football women are not going to be allowed to
> practise medicine--
>
> “Happily my thoughts were now given another turn.”
>
> The mention of football is actually significant:
>
> “Dick, Kerr Ladies F.C. was one of the earliest known women's association
> football teams in England. The team remained in existence for over 48
> years, from 1917 to 1965, playing 833 games, winning 759, drawing 46, and
> losing 28. During its early years, matches attracted anywhere from 4,000
> to over 50,000 spectators per match. ... The team faced strong opposition
> by the Football Association (FA), who banned ... women from using fields
> and stadiums controlled by FA-affiliated clubs for 50 years (the rule was
> finally repealed in 1971).”
>
> “The resolution passed [on 5/Dec/21] by the FA's Consultative Committee
> read: 5. Women's Football Matches. The following Resolution was adopted: Complaints
> having been made as to football being played by women, Council felt
> impelled to express the strong opinion that the game of football is quite
> unsuitable for females and should not be encouraged. ...”

> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick,_Kerr_Ladies_F.C.__;!!KGKeukY!jGUbisRx93KWNJuTN9YcaxjUxjQIiE6HcTrRtbpSsntga7rTP50egOUvB2FkyWvy1G8$>
> ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick,_Kerr_Ladies_F.C.
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick,_Kerr_Ladies_F.C.__;!!KGKeukY!jGUbisRx93KWNJuTN9YcaxjUxjQIiE6HcTrRtbpSsntga7rTP50egOUvB2FkyWvy1G8$>
>
> VW remarked on women’s football in particular in ch. 3 of “Three Guineas”
> (she clipped the press cutting from the *Daily* *Herald* of 15 August
> 1936), quoting:
>
> “Official football circles here [Wellingborough, Northants] regard with
> anxiety the growing popularity of girl's football. A secret meeting of the
> Northants Football Association's consultative committee was held here last
> night to discuss the playing of a girl's match on the Peterborough ground.
> Members of the Committee are reticent . . . One member, however, said
> today: 'The Northants Football Association is to forbid women's football.
> This popularity of girls' football comes when many men's clubs in the
> country are in a parlous state through lack of support. Another serious
> aspect is the possibility of grave injury to women players.’”
>
> Stuart
>
> (Day 412)

Jean Mills (she, her, hers)
Associate Professor
The Department of English
John Jay College/CUNY
524 West 59th Street, Room 7.63.12
New York, NY 10019

Selected Publications:

*Nancy Cunard: Perfect Stranger *by Jane Marcus; Edited and with an
Introduction and Afterword by Jean Mills. Clemson University Press, Fall,
2020
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://libraries.clemson.edu/press/books/nancy-cunard-perfect-stranger/__;!!KGKeukY!m8ooX21l6kWTxK2esqt9wycGmxW0LAufQH6V4GejvrkkclhsbDfwe_5h5v9X6XYxW8E$

"Obscene, Grotesque, and Carnivalesque: Hope Mirrlees's *Lud-in-the-Mist *as
Menippean Satire" in *The Female Fantastic: Gendering the Supernatural in
the 1890s and 1920s. *Routledge, Fall, 2018.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.routledge.com/The-Female-Fantastic-Gendering-the-Supernatural-in-the-1890s-and-1920s/McCormick-Mitchell-Soares/p/book/9780815364023__;!!KGKeukY!m8ooX21l6kWTxK2esqt9wycGmxW0LAufQH6V4GejvrkkclhsbDfwe_5h5v9X0-h-NzA$

"'With every nerve in my body I stand for peace': Jane Ellen Harrison and
the Heresy of War" in *Reconsidering Peace and Patriotism during the First
World War *(Palgrave/Macmillan, 2017)
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.palgrave.com/de/book/9783319513003__;!!KGKeukY!m8ooX21l6kWTxK2esqt9wycGmxW0LAufQH6V4GejvrkkclhsbDfwe_5h5v9XW7Jbz1E$

*Virginia Woolf, Jane Ellen Harrison, and the Spirit of Modernist
Classicism *(The Ohio State University Press, 2014)
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ohiostatepress.org/Books/Book*20Pages/Mills*20Virginia.html__;JSU!!KGKeukY!m8ooX21l6kWTxK2esqt9wycGmxW0LAufQH6V4GejvrkkclhsbDfwe_5h5v9XNdx1jfg$

Associate Editor, *Feminist Modernist Studies*

212.237.8706
JEMILLS at JJAY.CUNY.EDU