[Vwoolf] New BBC "dramatizations"

Elisa Sparks sparks at clemson.edu
Fri Mar 5 16:11:43 EST 2021

Dear All--
Audible has just released a package of seven full-cast BBC dramatizations of Woolf novels.  Against my better instincts, I used a credit to buy these and just wanted to warn the rest of you about them.  I have only listened to the beginning of The Voyage Out, during which I recognized not a word of Woolf's text.  I suspect these are highly abridged dramatic renditions (and I do mean render) of what bits of Woolf novels are conducive to dialogue and conventional notions of plot. Almost none of Woolf’s actual words remain, as the bulk of content is dialogue made up as exposition.  A travesty, IMHO. I was horrified to hear this gem: Helen married Mr. Ambrose because “he was big and strong and definite and owned a shipping empire.” I kid you not.

I was excited about the Waves, as it is mostly dialogue already, but it is condensed into less than two hours, so not much hope there.  Between the Acts is 2 and half hours and sounds like it is a bit more interesting.  The play is largely explained by members of the audience.  Just heard the policeman's speech IS largely from the actual text, so maybe they aren't ALL awful.  Actually, as I continue to listen to BTA, it is rather interesting...

Would love to hear other reactions.
Elisa