[Vwoolf] "The Pelican Guide to English Literature"

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Thu Jun 17 04:30:49 EDT 2021

Harish’s reminiscences are fascinating, and I’m so glad he thought fit to respond.

Cyril Connolly’s article in the “Sunday Times” was called "Our Lady of Bloomsbury" (16 Apr 1972), which is an excellent review of Noble’s “Recollections of Virginia Woolf”, concluding:

“To read this book is to get to know a wonderful human being who was also a most gifted writer.”

Almost equally fascinating is its opening:

“In May 1941 ... Horizon produced a special memorial number to her, commissioning articles from T. S. Eliot, Rose Macaulay, V. Sackville-West, Duncan Grant and William Plomer.  All these have been reprinted intact ... no acknowledgement has been made to the provider of this useful brainchild ...”

There *was* an article called "The Invalid Lady of Bloomsbury" by David Burnham in “Commonweal” (2 Oct 1942), but I haven’t seen it.  I believe it reviewed “The Death of the Moth”, Daiches’ book, EMF’s Rede lecture, and was also a kind of obituary on Woolf.

Stuart