[Vwoolf] Saunders jacket vs. a VB cover

Michael Schrimper Michael.Schrimper at colorado.edu
Sat Jan 30 16:56:53 EST 2021

I also see some lines of influence, Mark. One major difference I would note
is the use of head and foot (but interestingly not tail) serifs in the
typography of the author’s name. Of course this is to speak of Vanessa
Bell’s Hogarth Press covers generally and not individually. Some of her
covers did incorporate serifed letters. But when I think of the iconic Bell
HP covers, for instance those for VW’s books, I think of the “paint
writing” or calligraphy very much in contrast with the blocky, serifed
stems, lobes, arms, etc. of the Roman GEORGE SAUNDERS typography here.

This dust jacket’s centered book title, *A Swim in a Pond in the Rain*,
lacks serifs altogether but (gratefully?) does not completely mimic the
“Bell letters,” being less painterly and not so round-edged, cloudlike.

Michael R. Schrimper
Ph.D. Student, Department of English
University of Colorado Boulder
Traditional Territories of the Cheyenne, Arapaho and Ute Nations
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.colorado.edu/english/michael-schrimper__;!!KGKeukY!mqxm3ogoi1lOWV-3ghMIxhU5BAs8pyOsNOn-MPkFjF16gRytKm3PhdSJ1quJH-cMNK8$