[Vwoolf] Peacehaven

Mary Ellen Foley mefoleyuk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 08:05:30 EST 2021

Just to be clear: I did *not* intend for my previous comments on indexing
to read as though I thought Stuart didn't know how to look things up on the
internet or was unable to find that quotation had he really wanted to find
it, which I see today, looking back through the thread for something else,
is a possible reading.  I only meant to speak to the idea that insufficient
indexing--which is a plague, and which is seen more and more, for the
reasons Sarah pointed out--isn't going to stop us  in our tracks as often
it once might have.

It's even possible that the existence of online tools has led publishers to
think indexing is less important than it is: "They can always just Google
for it."  (A sentiment that's another possible reading of my own message
that I did not intend!)  Or at least has given them another excuse for
cutting pay to indexers and letting them go.  (The same argument, though,
can't help them when they skimp on editing...)

mef