[Vwoolf] not Brighton

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 8 09:48:24 EST 2021

(1) In an effort to keep these topics at least tenuously linked to the
purpose of the listserv, may I recommend FEIGEL, Lara, and Alexandra Harris
(eds.), "Modernism on Sea: Art and Culture at the British Seaside" (Witney,
Oxon: Peter Lang Ltd, 2009)?

But enough of that . . .

(2) Caravan parks in the UK vary in their rules and purposes.  Some of the
caravans are mobile, some are not.  The business of council tax is very
important and also the question of a permanent structure.  (We live opposite
a green belt + flood plain, so you are not allowed to build on it, but 100
yards away is a "non-permanent" bungalow put up only a few years ago
("Willow
Cottage"), while a proposal to build a stables was turned down by the
Council.)  As a result, you generally can't live in a caravan park
all-year-round, but a cousin of my partner's has bought a "mobile" home in
one of the caravan parks by our village, and I believe she only has to move
out for a nominal amount of time each year - 2 weeks?  (Not possible to
check, as they are not now on speaking terms, on account of Br*x*t.)

(3) Usually, our standard holiday when I was a child was taken in
Cliftonville, the supposedly upmarket detached suburb of Margate.  Margate
was a bit rough.  Margate is now going up in the world (a bit), while
Cliftonville is now very run down - as I was delighted to discover when I
went back on a day visit a few years ago.

(4) Nine-inch hips, Mark.

(5) Supposedly from "Punch":

I just knocked down some trippers
In my swift De Dion Bouton,
Knocked them down as flat as kippers,
Knocked them 'aussi mort que moutons'.
What a bore trippers are -
Now I must repaint the car.

(6) My partner has an old friend who lives in Peacehaven with a Brazilian.
It is impossible to characterise Brazil (I've never been), but my mind
boggles at choosing Peacehaven over Brazil.

Stuart