[Vwoolf] Peacehaven

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Mon Feb 8 07:08:58 EST 2021

During the 1970s my parents lived in Seaford, just 11 km from
Peacehaven. They hated Peacehaven because it had a huge caravan site on
it, full of fixed caravans, which they felt was a blot on the landscape.
The caravans were not quite what Americans call mobile homes because
they were not intended to be mobile, although as they could be moved
they enjoyed (perhaps still do) some tax benefit. I have some dim memory
that if you moved them once a year you didn't have to pay local tax
(rates), but Mr Google could not confirm this.

Clara Jones's informative article "Virginia Woolf and 'The Villa Jones'
(1931)" (WOOLF STUDIES ANNUAL Volume 22, 2016), has a footnote that
mentions Peacehaven, refers to an unpublished letter of Woolf's, and
discusses the class symbolism of buildings such as the villa in Woolf's
work. I think that an element of class snobbery entered into my parents'
disapproval of the Peacehaven caravan park, which they presumed
(correctly?) would have a lower-class clientele, but they were right
that it was (is?) an eyesore.

In 1987, during the great storm, the site suffered major damage; photos
of the devastation resemble those were are used to seeing from the
southern US states, but not from the UK.

Jeremy H