[Vwoolf] Virginia Woolf is no Shakespeare

Jean Mills millsj7 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 09:11:06 EST 2021

How this passage has lifted my spirits this morning (under blankets of
snow):

"I have still barely dipped into "The Waves: The two holograph drafts"
(1976).  (If I were on “Desert Island Discs”, I would choose that as my
book.  However wonderful a conventional book, wouldn’t one get tired of
rereading it?)"

Couldn't agree more! Thank you, Stuart, as ever for your thoughtful and
thought-provoking contributions to this list, but esp today for the imagery
:)

Jean

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 3:53 AM Stuart N. Clarke via Vwoolf <
vwoolf at lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> I agree with Mark Scott.  I’m not especially interested in Woolfian
> adaptations: biofiction,* plays, ballets, operas, songs about sausage and
> haddock, Kabe Wilson, using the first 50 letters of “To the Lighthouse” to
> play Scrabble, etc.  But other people are.  What excitement on this list
> when Michael Cunningham published “The Hours”!  (I read the ch., "A Room at
> the Normandy: Mrs. Brown Meets Mrs. Dalloway in Southern California", in
> the “New Yorker” in 1998.)  And then the film . . . well, of course, plenty
> of discussion.
>
> No, what I *really* like is Virginia Woolf’s own words in the order in
> which she wrote them.  I am now prepared to confess that I haven’t read
> everything she wrote that is available: I haven’t actually read “A
> Passionate Apprentice” from cover to cover.  I haven’t read most of the
> transcriptions of her drafts; I have still barely dipped into "The Waves:
> The two holograph drafts" (1976).  (If I were on “Desert Island Discs”, I
> would choose that as my book.  However wonderful a conventional book,
> wouldn’t one get tired of rereading it?)
>
> I am, however, enthusiastic when a new bit of diary appears, such as
> “Carlyle’s House” (ed. David Bradshaw, 2003) or the Asheham Diary [1917-18]
> in the “Charleston Magazine” (9:Spr/Summer 1994).
>
> And of course I’m delighted when I come across a new letter, unpublished
> or uncollected.  How thrilled people would be if some more texts of
> Shakespeare were found.  But, generally, other people don’t share my
> enthusiasm over these letters and have no interest when they are made
> available.
>
> *Anyone read Gail Pass’s “Zoe’s Book” (1976)?  I haven’t.  I’ve read "The
> Shadow of the Moth: a novel of espionage with Virginia Woolf" (1983), which
> is set in London in 1917 (when reading it, I literally had no idea what was
> meant by this sentence: “’Sorry, sir,’ apologized the precinct captain” (p.
> 209)); "Layers of social, literary, and psychological realism [makes for] a
> highly imaginative spoof" (puff).  I tried reading “Mr Dalloway”, but
> couldn’t cope with the Americanisms and inaccuracies.
>
> Stuart
> (Day 321, aka “The Blitz Spirit” V1 Day)
>
> “Duncan ... eases JMK’s passage into Bloomsbury Group”
> (p. 437b, index in vol. 1 of Skidelsky’s biography of Maynard Keynes)

Jean Mills (she, her, hers)
Associate Professor
The Department of English
John Jay College/CUNY
524 West 59th Street, Room 7.63.12
New York, NY 10019

Selected Publications:

*Nancy Cunard: Perfect Stranger *by Jane Marcus; Edited and with an
Introduction and Afterword by Jean Mills. Clemson University Press, Fall,
2020
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://libraries.clemson.edu/press/books/nancy-cunard-perfect-stranger/__;!!KGKeukY!nKxQrzT1n-aBgyaXzbuOKuzRbNb6_x-nvj6Im4sYDNfMVG5mFixvyDC-tCDv-BpU2HU$

"Obscene, Grotesque, and Carnivalesque: Hope Mirrlees's *Lud-in-the-Mist *as
Menippean Satire" in *The Female Fantastic: Gendering the Supernatural in
the 1890s and 1920s. *Routledge, Fall, 2018.

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.routledge.com/The-Female-Fantastic-Gendering-the-Supernatural-in-the-1890s-and-1920s/McCormick-Mitchell-Soares/p/book/9780815364023__;!!KGKeukY!nKxQrzT1n-aBgyaXzbuOKuzRbNb6_x-nvj6Im4sYDNfMVG5mFixvyDC-tCDvk0uP1Xk$

"'With every nerve in my body I stand for peace': Jane Ellen Harrison and
the Heresy of War" in *Reconsidering Peace and Patriotism during the First
World War *(Palgrave/Macmillan, 2017)
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.palgrave.com/de/book/9783319513003__;!!KGKeukY!nKxQrzT1n-aBgyaXzbuOKuzRbNb6_x-nvj6Im4sYDNfMVG5mFixvyDC-tCDvXO8nKj8$

*Virginia Woolf, Jane Ellen Harrison, and the Spirit of Modernist
Classicism *(The Ohio State University Press, 2014)
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ohiostatepress.org/Books/Book*20Pages/Mills*20Virginia.html__;JSU!!KGKeukY!nKxQrzT1n-aBgyaXzbuOKuzRbNb6_x-nvj6Im4sYDNfMVG5mFixvyDC-tCDv222936U$

Associate Editor, *Feminist Modernist Studies*

212.237.8706
JEMILLS at JJAY.CUNY.EDU