[Vwoolf] Photos of Talland House 2003 and 2012

Mary Ellen Foley mefoleyuk at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 09:58:16 EDT 2021

Thanks for these!

I've woken up in that bedroom, too, and felt inordinately lucky to look out
through the blinds and see *the* lighthouse.  For a while, my husband and I
used to spend Christmas in one or the other of the Talland House flats
every year; we were temporarily (we thought) living in England, had no
family in the country, and no time to fly home, or even to have a real
holiday some years -- we took our laptops and worked in those congenial
surroundings.  (There was an exceptional day when I spilled an entire mug
of cocoa over my husband's keyboard, it stopped working, and we had a
lovely drive to Penzance, the nearest place where we could buy a plug-in
keyboard back then.)

On one memorable occasion, a guest from a neighboring flat knocked on the
door with a plate of mince pies -- it turned out to be another Woolfian, a
VWSGB member (though I haven't asked her permission to mention her, so I
won't use her name), who later admitted to just being curious as to who
else was in residence.  So started a wonderful acquaintance! Unfortunately,
we couldn't ask her at the time in because my husband, just out of the
shower, was stranded in the sitting room, his clothes in the bedroom, and
no way to get between the two without being seen; I kept our mince-pie
benefactor chatting on the doorstep for some time.  In a later year, when
she and her husband rented the big downstairs flat, we were invited down to
dinner there.  They'd moved the furniture to put the dining table where Mrs
Ramsay's table would've been -- and they even served boeuf en daube.

It seems beyond all understanding that the view of the lighthouse couldn't
have been preserved and development reduced in the interest of history;
surely, the Woolf-Talland House connection is worth quite a bit to the
tourist industry, isn't it?  If they promoted boat trips to the lighthouse,
performances, etc., surely they could make up the financial difference --
or maybe I'm kidding myself.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane --

Mary Ellen