[Vwoolf] Fancy not knowing that!

Andre Gerard grenpipiens at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 15:42:16 EDT 2021

Then there  is this passage from Lawrence's *The Trespasser*, which Woolf
read while on her honeymoon in Spain:

"The streets were like polished gun-metal glistened over with gold. The
taxi-cabs, the wild cats of the town, swept over the gleaming floor
swiftly, soon lessening in the distance, as if scornful of the other
clumsy-footed traffic. He heard the merry click-clock of the swinging
hansoms, then the excited whirring of the motor-buses as they charged
full-tilt heavily down the road, their hearts, as it seemed, beating with
trepidation; they drew up with a sigh of relief by the kerb, and stood
there panting—great, nervous, clumsy things. Siegmund was always amused by
the headlong, floundering career of the buses. He was pleased with this
scampering of the traffic; anything for distraction. He was glad Helena was
not with him, for the streets would have irritated her with their coarse
noise. She would stand for a long time to watch the rabbits pop and hobble
along on the common at night; but the tearing along of the taxis and the
charge of a great motor-bus was painful to her. 'Discords,' she said,
'after the trees and sea.' She liked the glistening of the streets; it
seemed a fine alloy of gold laid down for pavement, such pavement as drew
near to the pure gold streets of Heaven; but this noise could not be
endured near any wonderland."