[Vwoolf] questions about John Lehmann and Woolf

Mary Ellen Foley mefoleyuk at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 08:54:34 EDT 2020

>  *a new kind of journalism ... to drive the ... New
Statesman and Spectator off the stage, *
> and usurp the pretence-new of the pseudo-American

I'm only guessing, but I'll jump in:

The *pretence-new *is the most intriguing part of the phrasing, to my eye.
Could this be a Frenchified way of saying "the new pretension",
constructing pretension in the phrase itself?

If so, then the aim is to take over the new pretension of the
pseudo-American -- which I read as saying to take over a recently
fashionable stance of trying to sound American.  What it would mean to take
this over -- 'to adopt that position themselves' seems unlikely, and
'usurp', with its connotations of an unjust action, seems an odd choice --
I couldn't say.

I don't know enough about the context to know whether this is reasonable,
but I prefer it to the "Americans are crass" interpretation :-)

(Reminds me of a tedious trip to London on a *packed* train during which a
rude American in the window seats of our row of three -- I was on the aisle
-- talked non-stop to her travelling companion, who faced her from the
adjacent row of three.  We heard all about her -- they were bassoonists in
an orchestra together, and, among other things, she told tuba jokes --
because she didn't shut up except for a brief respite when she went to the
toilet, and her subject was mainly herself.

I didn't say anything.  But when we stepped off the train at Waterloo, I
said to the British people who'd occupied the other 3 seats in our 6-person
group, "We're not all like that" -- and they absolutely cracked up!)

Mary Ellen