[Vwoolf] "Mrs. Dalloway" cruxes (cruces?)

Sarah M. Hall smhall123 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 23 11:16:22 EST 2020

 1) Ancestry.co.uk says (https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ancestry.co.uk/name-origin?surname=watkiss__;!!KGKeukY!lbtpV93702SyCQ5eSwrvHgRKdmcefc6_jjGTjt_KF4AFT4Zap86cHcz_fZQ8J4JL5uZBDSuL9YT6cZ4$ ):

Staffordshire is a landlocked county in the West Midlands of England. In 1891 there were 156 Watkiss families living in Staffordshire. This was about 41% of all the recorded Watkiss's in the UK. Staffordshire had the highest population of Watkiss families in 1891.

Some Staffs residents have a similar accent to those in Birmingham.

2) Inserting a middle initial may have given certain individuals a feeling of upward mobility. My paternal grandfather had no middle name but started inserting 'Bingley' between his first name and surname in the 1920, 1930s or 1940s. He was very ambitious for his children and grandchildren, and berated one of his sons-in-law for not earning enough to send his children to a fee-paying school. (Although neither had he.)

Like Stuart, I use a middle initial, although I wouldn't bother if I hadn't met so many people with my name. Once, on a team of softball players, two of us were called Sarah Hall.
'Are you the Booker-nominated novelist', I am occasionally asked. 'I wish', I answer wistfully.
Sarah M. Hall(Let her/him who is without blame cast the first stone)