[Vwoolf] A stupendous misspelling of The Hogarth Press

Neverow, Vara S. neverowv1 at southernct.edu
Sat Nov 21 16:14:30 EST 2020

Dear all,

When Leslie Arthur was flipping through Hugh David's Stephen Spender: A Portrait with Background (Heinemann, 1992) a few days ago at the William Reese Company warehouse, she discovered that John Lehmann had worked at the Hogwarth Press as per the photo above (I hope you can see the typo on the right in the paragraph above Leslie's fingertip).

The word itself is almost a serendipitous fusion of The Hogarth Press and the Hogwarts School of Magic (but of course, this publication predated the first volume of J. R. Rowling's series, so this quasi-revelation is pure silliness).

Amusing I hope in a time of very few moments of laughter.

Cheers,

Vara

Vara Neverow
Department of English