[Vwoolf] About Leonard Woolf's article

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 11 06:56:59 EST 2020

Dear Chen

Your dates are wrong: 9 or 16 March 1929.  However Leonard’s article is in 22 Sept 1928:

Truth and Fiction.  World of Books.  Review of "This Side Idolatry, A Novel", by Ephesian [i.e. Carl Eric Bechhofer Roberts, formerly Bechhofer]; "Charles Dickens", by Ralph Straus.

I can send you a photo if this is what you require.

Stuart

“’Government, after all, is a very simple thing,’ said Mr. Warren G. Harding upon being elected Chief Executive of the United States.  The experience of very few months in Washington was more than sufficient to make the President realize his error.  To-day his Administration is struggling against a sea of troubles almost unbounded.  The country we commonly regard as more fortunate than all others is in the grip of a crisis, political and economic, by comparison with which our own condition appears almost agreeable.”
(“The Nation and the Athenæum”, 9 Sep 1922, p. 761)