[Vwoolf] Number 1 misreading of Woolf?

Pat Laurence pat.laurence at gmail.com
Thu May 21 16:26:54 EDT 2020

I agree with Christine that the shower of “atoms” (sensations, impressions)
as they fall upon the mind is the condition of modernity. Change, flux,
movement. And it is left to Joyce and Woolf (in Woolf's broad stroke), as
Mark & Jeremy note to be the “spiritualists”—those who look inward to
capture the flow and flux --in opposition to those who look outward, the
static “materialists” Wells, Galsworthy and Bennett. This not a “method,"
but it is part of the “new ground” of the “proper stuff of fiction.” What
has always interested me about this essay is Woolf’s foregrounding of the
concept of “smallness” or minimalism as she challenges the maximal notion
“that life exists more fully in what is commonly thought large rather than
what is thought small.” Life exists more fully in the tiny “atoms” that
fall upon the mind; it is in impressions that may be “trivial.” She begins
here to shift the ground of modern fiction” from large events, go-ahead
plot, outward character or even the cultural “loudspeaker” voice of war or
the sensational. We are introduced instead to Woolf’s notion that there’s
an importance, even a wildness, that is contained in the “small.” Or as she
suggests in “On Being Ill,” in coping with the unknown territory of
disease—let’s say droplets in Covid-19—that makes us re-think what is “big”
and what is “small.” [not sure of accuracy of quotations, I don’t have
access to my books].

Pat Laurence