[Vwoolf] Woolf and the Met Gala 2020

Michael MISC6876 misc6876 at colorado.edu
Mon May 4 19:18:55 EDT 2020

It was posted before, but it’s timely—pun intended—to see it tonight. I remember when I first read this I was curious as to how the curators were thinking of these “folds in time.” Many of the designers they mention, especially McQueen, are very historically-minded, drawing inspiration from designs from the past. So it’s not like there’s some phenomenon occurring in which silhouettes magically return; what we’re really talking about are designers, with a certain amount of education in fashion history, making conscious choices to reference older designs….

 But too bad for the delay of this event, just like the postponement of much else.

 Fun fact: I interned at American Vogue as an undergrad and the experience was both dreamy and nightmarish. Lots and lots of waiting for elevators in the Conde Nast tower, which at that time was still in Times Square, not the new location at One World Trade….

Michael R. Schrimper
Ph.D. Student, Department of English
University of Colorado Boulder
Traditional Territories of the Arapaho, Cheyenne, and Ute Nations
https://www.colorado.edu/english/michael-schrimper