[Vwoolf] Woolf's "On Being Ill" revisited in the times of corona virus

Cheryl Hindrichs cherylhindrichs at boisestate.edu
Tue Mar 24 12:34:37 EDT 2020

An excellent book on the pandemic is Jane Elizabeth Fisher's *Envisioning
Disease, Gender, and War: Women's Narratives of the 1918 Influenza Pandemic
<https://www.palgrave.com/gp/book/9780312234492>,* the chapters are highly
teachable and the scope pushes beyond an American/British focus and
includes intermodern authors.

Having studied the pandemic for about a decade, like many of you, I'm
finding these interesting days.

Warm wishes to all,

Cheryl

On Tue, Mar 24, 2020 at 10:26 AM Jane Marie Garrity via Vwoolf <
vwoolf at lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> Hi Laura & all,
> Thanks for these links. I’d also like to draw people’s attention to
> Elizabeth Outka’s wonderful book, _Viral Modernism: The Influenza Pandemic
> and Interwar Literature_ (Columbia UP 2019). It’s not only timely, but is a
> terrific read—enjoy!
> Best wishes everyone,
> Jane
>

> Jane Garrity
> Associate Professor of English
> Associate Chair and Director of Undergraduate Studies
> University of Colorado at Boulder
> 226 UCB
> Boulder, CO 80309-0226
> Jane.Garrity at Colorado.Edu
>

> On Mar 24, 2020, at 3:06 AM, Laura Cernat via Vwoolf <vwoolf at lists.osu.edu>
> wrote:
>
> Dear Woolfians,
>
> With Belgium under lockdown for the second week now, my colleagues from
> the KU Leuven Faculty of Arts are looking for ways to find literary
> resources that explore topics like illness and epidemics from a diversity
> of angles. They've set up a blog called "Coronameron", where professors and
> students have been contributing bits about epidemics in the history of
> literature. You might enjoy some of the posts (
> https://www.arts.kuleuven.be/literatuurwetenschap/coronameron).
>
> I participated with a small piece about Woolf's "On Being Ill". I tried to
> follow the advice that has circulated on the listserv lately and I
> foregrounded Woolf's own words rather than trying to burden the text with
> references and complicated commentary. It is, of course, just a
> popularization piece, so don't expect much novelty, but maybe it's a good
> invitation to revisit the text. Here's the link:
>
> https://www.arts.kuleuven.be/literatuurwetenschap/coronameron/suggestions-suggesties/onbeingillvirginiawoolf
>
> May your passion for Woolf keep you strong in these times. Stay at home
> and keep up the good reading & writing!
>
> With best wishes of health and strength,
>
> Laura
>
> Laura Cernat (Kupferschmidt)
>
> PhD student, KU Leuven, Department of Literary Studies
> FWO doctoral fellow

Department of English
Boise State University
1910 University Drive