[Vwoolf] Woolf's "On Being Ill" revisited in the times of corona virus

Laura Cernat cernat.laura at kuleuven.be
Tue Mar 24 05:06:52 EDT 2020

Dear Woolfians,

With Belgium under lockdown for the second week now, my colleagues from the KU Leuven Faculty of Arts are looking for ways to find literary resources that explore topics like illness and epidemics from a diversity of angles. They've set up a blog called "Coronameron", where professors and students have been contributing bits about epidemics in the history of literature. You might enjoy some of the posts (https://www.arts.kuleuven.be/literatuurwetenschap/coronameron).

I participated with a small piece about Woolf's "On Being Ill". I tried to follow the advice that has circulated on the listserv lately and I foregrounded Woolf's own words rather than trying to burden the text with references and complicated commentary. It is, of course, just a popularization piece, so don't expect much novelty, but maybe it's a good invitation to revisit the text. Here's the link:

https://www.arts.kuleuven.be/literatuurwetenschap/coronameron/suggestions-suggesties/onbeingillvirginiawoolf

May your passion for Woolf keep you strong in these times. Stay at home and keep up the good reading & writing!

With best wishes of health and strength,

Laura

Laura Cernat (Kupferschmidt)

PhD student, KU Leuven, Department of Literary Studies
FWO doctoral fellow