[Vwoolf] Teaching Woolf Now - Woolf and Race

Elizabeth F. Evans evansef at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 10:41:50 EDT 2020

Dear all,

Thanks so much to everyone who shared strategies and resources for teaching Woolf and race in the context of current and ongoing protests against police brutality and systemic racism -- Mark Hussey, Susan Friedman, Ben Hagen, Jane Garrity, Barbara Green, Kristin Czarnecki, Erica Delsandro, Amanda Golden, Gretchen Gerzina, Stuart Clarke, Trudi Tate, Janine Utell (I hope I haven't forgotten anyone). Here is a bibliography on the topic, built from listserve suggestions: https://bit.ly/WoolfandRace

The bibliography is divided into three sections:
1.     Scholarship directly treating Woolf and race/racism
2.     Present-day fiction and scholarship on race and systemic racism that is in conversation with Woolf (explicitly or implicitly)
3.     Scholarship on early twentieth-century people of color in racist societies, with special attention to Britain
Please understand that each section, and the bibliography as a whole, is incomplete. All are warmly invited to add further citations and notes about citations, and to move citations to different categories if I've got them wrong. Many thanks to Mark Hussey for the idea of making this a "living," dynamic bibliography by posting it in Google Docs, and for much help with sources!

Anyone with the link can view and edit content. Again, it's: https://bit.ly/WoolfandRace

All the best,
Liz

Elizabeth F. Evans (she/her)
Associate Professor of English
Wayne State University
https://bit.ly/ElizabethEvansProfile

Author of Threshold Modernism: New Public Women and the Literary Spaces of Imperial London (Cambridge University Press, 2019) (bit.ly/ThresholdModernism)

Book Review Editor of The Space Between: Literature and Culture, 1914-1945 (https://spacebetweensociety.org/home/journal/)