[Vwoolf] Woolf's ellipses

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Thu Jun 11 14:05:25 EDT 2020

Still on the subject of punctuation, a book that I can strongly
recommend is Anne Toner's /Ellipsis in English Literature: Signs of
Omission/ (Cambridge UP, 2015).  It includes discussion of Woolf's use
of ellipses in /A Room of One's Own/, /Three Guineas/, and /The Voyage
Out/. A more recent book by the same author: /Jane Austen's Style.
Narrative Economy and the Novel's Growth/ (Cambridge UP, 2020) is also
highly recommended - but it contains only passing mentions of Virginia
Woolf.

Jeremy H

On 11.06.2020 19:48, Derek Ryan via Vwoolf wrote:
> Thanks Jeremy for sending details of /Mark My Words/ -- I ordered a
> copy immediately.
>
> For more on Woolf's semi-colons, look out for my brilliant colleague
> Ariane Mildenberg's chapter, 'Virginia Woolf, Carnal Hermeneutics, and
> Democratic Reading', in vol. 1 of /Virginia Woolf, Europe and Peace.
> /Both volumes of this book will be published by Clemson/Liverpool UP
> at the end of this month, including excellent work by many listserv
> regulars!
>
> Sending best wishes and hope you are all keeping well,
> Derek
>

> Dr. Derek Ryan| Senior Lecturer in Modernist Literature | Director of
> Graduate Studies (Paris)
> School of English, University of Kent| Rutherford Extension,
> Canterbury, CT2 7NX| Web <https://www.kent.ac.uk/english/staff/ryan.html>
> New books:/Reading Literary Animals
> <https://www.routledge.com/Reading-Literary-Animals-Medieval-to-Modern-1st-Edition/Edwards-Ryan-Spencer/p/book/9781138093850>;////The
> Handbook to the Bloomsbury Group/
> <https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/the-handbook-to-the-bloomsbury-group-9781350014916/>////
> Literature Editor:///Routledge Encyclopedia of Modernism/
> <https://www.rem.routledge.com/>
> //
> //

Jeremy Hawthorn