[Vwoolf] Kabe Wilson interview

Alice E. Staveley staveley at stanford.edu
Mon Jun 8 00:29:33 EDT 2020

Dear Elizabeth,

Thank you so much for starting this conversation, and for everyone who’s chimed in with excellent resources.   I heartily second a group bibliography — and Zoom fall chat (Zoom isn’t going anywhere anytime soon) — to talk further about reading lists and pedagogical practices on these crucial issues.

I found myself this past Thursday with Orlando on the syllabus in my "VW in the Age of #MeToo" course, in the penultimate week of our remote quarter, and had a student comment (with deep pain) in emails before class on the apparently casual and iterative acts of violation on the black man’s body with which it opens, as they merged in her mind with the images of George Floyd’s murder.   I found that reaching out to colleagues — my MAPP teammates, and now (thank you Liz!) this timely list — has helped me help students confront what Susan rightly calls the ‘interlocking oppressions’ Woolf’s texts deconstruct, while not shying away from what Erica calls Woolf’s ‘failures in racial consciousness’.   Shelley Fisher Fishkin, a colleague here who heads American Studies, sent me a list of videos she has compiled to teach the history of race in the US, and I append it here (with her permission) because its first video on Ida B. Wells allowed me, the night before class, to discover that Wells has been awarded recently a posthumous Pulitzer for her anti-lynching journalism, and this posthumous recognition chimed with other long form class discussions on archives, women, class, race, and occluded recognition.  And it was through this lens, and the journalistic photographic inserts (and the images left unpublished) in Three Guineas, which allowed us a way into thinking about frames of reference in Orlando, in a class that otherwise might have veered off course, in more ways than one.

In terms of other citations, I was thinking of Elizabeth Abel’s keynote at last year’s Woolf conference on Woolf and Baldwin — I’m not sure if that’s published yet (Drew would know?) but it was superb.  And also Tuzyline Allan’s work on Woolf and Larsen and Walker and her book Womanist and Feminist Aesthetics.  MAPP continues to solicit and publish peer reviewed biographies of authors and press workers in the orbit  of the Hogarth Press; a recent  and very full biography of Mulk Raj Anand with new archival information can be found here http://www.modernistarchives.com/person/mulk-raj-anand

Susan, thank you for mentioning Wilson at the MSA in 2018 — I looked him up then and there, and realized how perfect his art installation would be for talking about Room in the #MeToo course.  I added a section to the syllabus called “Whose Room?” and the students were really engaged by it.  Thank you for opening up this crucial channel for us all and Trudi as well for all the onsite information at Cambridge which I’ve used to good effect in my classes on Wilson’s work.  My students this year asked if he’d published his book, and I didn’t know, so it’s interesting to know he might be willing to share the pdf.  Another thing the faculty in Feminist and Gender Studies here has been talking about is how we might — with resources — offer honorariums for creative artists and public intellectuals to speak in our classes in our continuing efforts to diversify texts and speakers.  I am on leave next year, but I’m definitely going to try and outreach to Wilson to see if he would be interested in an interactive Zoom class the following year (as I say, Zoom may not only be ubiquitous now, but could facilitate access to those we could never afford to fly in).

I look forward to this growing list of resources, Liz, on this topic and to further discussion in the fall (and congratulate you too, on your recent election to the MSA Board of Directors!)
Best wishes
Alice

Alice Staveley
Senior Lecturer