[Vwoolf] Rent or own?

Michael Schrimper Michael.Schrimper at colorado.edu
Thu Jul 2 14:13:07 EDT 2020

Do we know if the Ramsays were renting the house in the Hebrides, or if
they owned it? I had always assumed their ownership of the place, for a
number of reasons. Yet the text says “Never mind, the rent was precisely
twopence half-penny; the children loved it; it did her husband good to be
three thousand, or if she must be accurate, three hundred miles from his
libraries and his lectures and his disciples” (29)…so they were renting the
property?

I'm not finding any evidence that "rent" is another word for, say, mortgage
payment....

Edition I’m using: Harcourt 1990.

Michael R. Schrimper
Ph.D. Student, Department of English
University of Colorado Boulder
Traditional Territories of the Cheyenne, Arapaho and Ute Nations
https://www.colorado.edu/english/michael-schrimper