[Vwoolf] bungalows and villas

Sarah M. Hall smhall123 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 26 07:35:15 EST 2020

 Woolf certainly meant it in the pejorative sense. I always think of her hyperbolic description of Little Talland House in Firle:
‘This is not a cottage, but a hideous suburban villa — I have to prepare people for the shock.’
(Letter 582, 31 August 1911)
Actually the house is a perfectly acceptable semi, but was obviously a lot newer in Woolf's time.
Sarah M. HallVirginia Woolf Society of GB