[Vwoolf] Monks? Monk's?

mhussey at verizon.net mhussey at verizon.net
Mon Feb 17 08:52:38 EST 2020

A perennial question! Funnily enough, I just went through the ms of my
biography of Clive Bell (forthcoming April 2021) and put in the apostrophe
throughout because that is how it appears in a letter of Clive's I quote. I
have always thought either was acceptable, and I think VW herself uses both.
I was never much swayed by the absence of the apostrophe on the gate as that
seemed likely to have been an aesthetic rather than orthographic decision.