[Vwoolf] The Blitz Spirit (7)

Jeremy Hawthorn jeremy.hawthorn at ntnu.no
Thu Dec 24 05:48:10 EST 2020

Bananas really were like gold dust in the UK in WW2. A family story has
my father coming home from work (he was drafted, but worked in London)
with a single banana, some time in "the duration." It will have cost him
a bit as it probably "fell off the back of a truck." I was born May
1942, so cannot have been more that three at the time. The banana was
peeled, then sliced into four, with a part each for my mother, my
father, my brother and me. When my part was put in my mouth I spat it
out. I have never liked bananas. To their dying days, my parents never
allowed me to forget this, and suggested that there might have been
something symbolic about the event.

Jeremy H