[Vwoolf] VW's (standing) desk

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 23 04:59:15 EST 2020

I can now answer the question, “How did Franklin get it?”  He bought it: "Charleston" (lots 200-328) in "Tennyson" (auction catalogue), Sotheby’s, 21-22 Jul 1980, p. 180, lot 327 (b&w photo and detailed description).  He paid £2800 + 10% premium.  That’s quite an expensive present to give to the Baskins.

Since much of the cat. is about Tennyson, I draw your attention to E6, p. 637:

“Money and Love”, E3.191n2: the source of the quotation is Tennyson’s ‘The Lord of Burleigh’ (1842): ‘But a trouble weigh’d upon her, / And perplex’d her night and morn, / With the burthen of an honour / Unto which she was not born.’

See also Samuel Butler’s “Notebooks”: “some people in future ages may wish to draw between the character of Lord Burleigh’s steps in Tennyson’s poem, according as he was walking up or pacing down. Wherefrom also the critic will argue that the scene of Lord Burleigh’s weeping *must* have been on an inclined plane:

Weeping, weeping late and early,
Walking up and pacing down,
Deeply mourned the Lord of Burleigh,
Burleigh-house by Stamford-town.”