[Vwoolf] Virginia Woolf Statue and Gala Celebration

Peter Fullagar peterjfullagar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 07:59:22 EST 2020

Dear all,

I’m on the committee for the Virginia Woolf Statue campaign.

With heated discussions about public statues in the news these days, join the many prominent people who have publicly endorsed the proposal to erect a life-size bronze statue of the writer and women’s rights champion, Virginia Woolf.

These include, politicians: Zac Goldsmith, Sarah Olney, Bill Newton Dunn local councillors: John Coombs, Peter Buckwell, Pam Fleming writers: Anne Sebba, Claire Tomalin, Phillippa Gregory, A.S. Byatt, Sarah Waters, Neil Gaiman, Philip Pullman, Caitlin Moran, Jodi Picoult, Deborah Frances White, Elizabeth Day, Jackie Kay, Kit de Waal and broadcasters: Bamber Gascoigne, James O’Brien and Natasha Devon (LBC).

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/nov/13/virginia-woolf-statue-fundraiser-flooded-with-donations-after-wollstonecraft-controversy__;!!KGKeukY!hmVj11Hb9Ph9sIC6OImMdahS61e3Lxd0rd_1WaZvxMuaNyuDtLY5Zhf_pB9xRmIJvhE$

Virginia Woolf, the much-celebrated writer, champion of women’s rights and business founder, lived in Richmond from 1914 to 1924 with her husband, Leonard Woolf. There, Virginia learned to hone her writing craft and founded, along with her husband, the Hogarth Press.

Her publication Kew Gardens was the start of the rise in interest of her work. As her husband later wrote with reference to Richmond and Hogarth House; ‘Those … years were, I am sure, crucial for the stabilizing of her mind and health and for her work, and I am quite sure that the tranquil atmosphere of these two houses… helped to tranquilize her mind.’

Even Virginia herself felt that living in Richmond and Hogarth House were crucial to her state of mind and her development as a writer, stating that ‘Nowhere else could we have started the Hogarth Press, whose very awkward beginning had rise in this very room, on this very green carpet.’

Some further links related to our campaign:

Fundraising page, we’re at £22k we need at least £50k to create  https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/charity-web/charity/displayCharityCampaignPage.action?charityCampaignUrl=VirginiaWoolfStatue__;!!KGKeukY!hmVj11Hb9Ph9sIC6OImMdahS61e3Lxd0rd_1WaZvxMuaNyuDtLY5Zhf_pB9xy2FnmdY$
We’re also hosting an online gala event on 12th December which will include music, poetry, play readings to raise funds for sculpture https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/gala-for-virginia-woolf-tickets-128533973575__;!!KGKeukY!hmVj11Hb9Ph9sIC6OImMdahS61e3Lxd0rd_1WaZvxMuaNyuDtLY5Zhf_pB9xpAWznO0$
Charity page Aurora Metro Arts and Media https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.aurorametro.org/__;!!KGKeukY!hmVj11Hb9Ph9sIC6OImMdahS61e3Lxd0rd_1WaZvxMuaNyuDtLY5Zhf_pB9xYU1LT4o$
Further information on the VW campaign https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.aurorametro.org/virginia-woolf-statue__;!!KGKeukY!hmVj11Hb9Ph9sIC6OImMdahS61e3Lxd0rd_1WaZvxMuaNyuDtLY5Zhf_pB9xpzb1zuw$
Book published about Virginia Woolf https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://t.co/wXnjf0d5gM?amp=1__;!!KGKeukY!hmVj11Hb9Ph9sIC6OImMdahS61e3Lxd0rd_1WaZvxMuaNyuDtLY5Zhf_pB9xe7hUMtM$
Twitter handles are @VWoolfStatue @aurorametro