[Vwoolf] Virtual IVW Conferences?

Annaliese Hoehling ahoehling at umass.edu
Tue Aug 4 10:56:33 EDT 2020

I agree that in-person is really important, but would love to see more
remote options available more consistently, and hope the recent
circumstances help push more conference organizers to incorporate that
going forward. Especially as academic positions (period) and funding for
conferences and travel may be drastically reduced in the coming years, less
expensive and more access-friendly options across the board will be helpful
(crucial?) for keeping less-established scholars in the loop.

Of course, many scholars who are single parents, parents of young children,
or who would benefit from alternative access options for a myriad of
physical or other reasons, have been advocating for this for a long time.

Thank you for bringing this up, Karen, and I would be happy to volunteer
(as a contingent/independent academic, and as someone with remote
technology organizing background) to help a future conference committee to
prep/execute these options as needed.

Best wishes for continued health,
Annaliese
------------------
Annaliese Hoehling, MA, MFA
PhD, English Literature, UMass Amherst
Teaching Assistant, English Department, UMass Amherst

Recent Article: "Minoritarian 'Marvelous Real': Enfolding Revolution in
Alejo Carpentier's *The Kingdom of This World*
<http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/8acneCJiPUPNWNdIwUtm/full>." *Journal of
Postcolonial Writing, *54:2, 254-267, DOI: 10.1080/17449855.2017.1403362
<https://doi.org/10.1080/17449855.2017.1403362>

Forthcoming Article: "Seeing History in the Baroque Ruins of Elizabeth
Bowen’s *The Last September*: An Indictment of Cosmopolitan Modernity." *The
Journal of Modern Literature.*