[Vwoolf] Another class indicator

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 30 03:58:11 EDT 2020

“Shawled women carry babies with purple eyelids” (“Jacob’s Room”).  Because they are ‘shawled’, we know the women are poor:

“I couldn’t care less about the diamond brooch, after all, it’s well insured and now I shall be able to have clips instead, which will be far and away smarter.  Veronica’s clips always make me miserable, every time I see her, and besides, that brooch used to remind me of my bogus old mother-in-law too much.  But I couldn’t think it more hateful of them to have taken my fur tippet.  Burglars never seem to realize one might feel the cold.  How would they like it if I took away their wife’s shawl?”

Nancy Mitford, “Love in a Cold Climate” (Penguin, 1954, p. 53)

Stuart
(Day 44)