[Vwoolf] boss of the back

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Fri Apr 24 11:39:29 EDT 2020

I read it as meaning that bits of gingerbread have stuck to the child’s face, thus embossing it.

“The bitter eighteenth-century rain rushed down the kennel.” (JR)
I found kennels in Boz:
In the ‘Seven Dials’ chapter in ‘Sketches by Boz’ (1839), Charles Dickens refers to ‘half-naked children that wallow in the kennels’.

Stuart