[Vwoolf] Bloombury ? and Hilma Af Klint

Diane Reynolds direynolds1502 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 16:31:13 EDT 2020

We watched an excellent documentary last night about Hilma Af Klint. I have this link: https://kinonow.com/hilma-af-klint-art-gallery-of-hamilton <https://kinonow.com/hilma-af-klint-art-gallery-of-hamilton>. The rental cost is $12 (U.S.). I happened to be in NYC last year just at the time almost the whole of the Guggenheim was given over to a  Klint show.  I liked it very much and was oddly emotionally moved by the paintings in the flesh. (I actually prefer her early realist work, but found the abstract paintings powerful.)

Of great interest to me from the film is that there is some small record of her having done a show in London at the Friend’s Meeting house; this fascinates me as it is hard to imagine it would be something Roger Fry, Vanessa Bell, VW would have missed—I wouldn’t be surprised if Fry, as a former Quaker, had a hand in organizing it if he was still alive—and I think he would have been as she only outlived him by a decade.

I also find it interesting that Klint envisioned—quite seriously—having a spiral museum built to house her art—very much like the Guggenheim. As she and Wright were both theosophists, I looked briefly into theosophy site to find out about spirals but had no luck with a cursory glance.

.