[Vwoolf] For Agatha Christie fans

Stuart N. Clarke stuart.n.clarke at btinternet.com
Tue Apr 21 07:48:46 EDT 2020

A very impressive analysis!

Stuart

From: Jeremy Hawthorn via Vwoolf
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 11:00 AM
To: vwoolf at lists.osu.edu
Subject: Re: [Vwoolf] For Agatha Christie fans

This is a puzzle. Sarah H is correct that the only part of one's own back on which it is restful to hold one's own arm is the small of the back. The problem with this is that all the definitions of "boss" as related to a part of the human back that I have found, including the original OED, use words such as "bump" or "protuberance," and the small of the back is the part furthest in, rather than sticking out. Moreover you have to hold your arm against the small of the back; you cannot rest it there.

There is another possibility . . . the buttocks. They definitely protrude, and it is just about possible to rest one's arm against the top of them. My instinctive reaction against this is that this might suggest that Woolf is making use of a euphemism, and there are few less prudish writers that VW. But there is also Piccadilly . . . Isn't there a reference to the poor girls in Piccadilly in Mrs Dalloway? The area was certainly associated with prostitution and sexuality in Woolf's time, and so a half nod in the direction of the buttocks might not be inappropriate. Why, after all, does Woolf have Mr Bowley walk down just this London street? And then there is the reference to Mr Bowley's liking for young people . . . and his indulgence in wicked gossip.

Bowley lives in The Albany - which provided apartments for bachelors.  In other words, there are various hints in the text suggesting that Mr Bowley is gay. You don't have to be gay to rest your arm on your buttocks, of course, but if Woolf was in disguise mode when dealing with this character it might explain this particular reference. There is in addition an almost total lack of hits for "the boss of the / his / her back" on Google Books and LiteratureOnline.

Jeremy H